Feb 4, 2010

Life since Christmas

We've been doing good. I was reading my sister's blog yesterday and was very inspired by her efforts to blog every day, even if it's just a few sentences. It's really more of a journal she keeps, but nonetheless it is a great idea. So I have taken it upon myself to "try" and do the same. I won't say that I will commit to everyday, but hopefully at least a few times a week. We'll see how it goes! Of course, every post probably won't include pictures, but oh well. In fact, I've noticed that most blogs do not have pictures in every post. Wish me luck!

Well, some big news (I guess) is that we have decided to home school our kids. We have been over it and over it. It was really the ONLY option we considered when we were living in Arizona, but when we moved here, public school became a bigger option. But alas, after much research, consideration, thought, prayer, etc., we feel it will be the best thing we can do for our children. In my opinion schools are only getting worse, and will continue to get worse. I like the idea of being in control (call me a control freak if you want, I don't care!) of my child's education. Only having them learn what we feel is important to their physical and spiritual existence. And being able to stay close to them for as long as possible. So, we're excited! We've already started and Kamille has been doing great and really likes it!

I know (and have heard)plenty about the "what if's." Like what about developing social skills, what if they don't do as well as other children, what if they become hermits being home all day, etc., etc. All I have to say to that is Number 1, Most people's idea of social skills is complete not accurate, I think. What, we send our kids to school and it teaches them to really only associate with their age group and grade? They feel inferior to play or talk with older kids, or they feel superior to the younger kids thinking that they are better then them. All kids do mostly anyway (especially as they get older) is "hang out." There's virtually no real human interaction, no substance to their conversations, and they seem so out of tune with real life. Number 2: I have not seen one statistic of a home schooled child that falls behind or doesn't do as well as a public school child. In fact, it is just the opposite. Homeschooling children are usually ahead of the age group or grade. Of course a lot of it depends on the parent/guardian. If you're not teaching your child, or helping them learn to teach them self, then yes, I can see that they could fall behind. But the fact is, that families that home school are taking on a greater challenge being totally responsible for their child's education and not handing it over to someone else to be in charge of. I'm not boasting, saying that I'm better than everyone else because we're going to home school, I'm just stating facts. And number 3: Everyone who knows me knows that I am NOT a hermit. In fact, most of the time I go overboard the other direction. So I have no worries there. Our kids will get plenty of interaction with other children and people of all ages. They will learn at their own pace, not being forced to slow down and wait for the group, or seed up and not understand anything. And they will (I hope, just as every parent does) turn out to be good, upstanding, honest, hard working, faithful individuals who make a strong difference in this world for the better. So we're excited about it, and so far it's been going well!

I've been going to the gym about 2 or 3 days a week at 5:30am. It's really nice. Several weeks ago, I got the urge to run. Even though I have not ran in years. No joke, it's been YEARS! I've been running about a mile without stopping (don't laugh Jeaniece, or all you others who can run 7+ miles without stopping! :):)I'm hoping that after the baby comes this urge will stick around and I will want to keep running! Hopefully! We'll see! I would like to work up to running a marathon sometime.

I can't believe baby will be here in 3 months! No names picked out yet. It will start with a J, that's all we know. I'm excited, I hope he's another Jameson! That would be heavenly! I hate to pick a favorite baby, but I do have to say that Jameson has been the best baby, and I don't want him to grow up any more. I LOVE the stage he is in. It is totally one of my favorites!

We have completed potty training with Kayda! YEA!!! She has it down. Oh, that reminds me of something I have tell. It's quite funny! We were over at Kayda's Primary teachers house for dinner one night. They are the sweetest older couple. Very fun. Anyway, Kayda comes out of the bathroom with her pants and panties down to her ankles and says "Hey guys, guess what? I just did a really big poop!" It was pretty funny. We were all laughing! That's our Kayda Babes!

Ok, so I suppose this post has gone on long enough. But I guess I'm just blogging! :) So until next time, hopefully only a day or so! Audios!

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

I am sure you will get a lot of crap about your decision to Home School but what it really boils down to is that you have to do what you feel is right for your family and NO ONE else has stewardship over them. Can you imagine if when you got to the judgement seat the Lord said: I revealed that the right thing for your family was home school and you didn't do it. Peer pressure won't be a good enough excuse! I think more and more people are doing it- normal, social people. Good for you! We have great schools here so I haven't even thought of it- but if God wants us to, we will! Except I am not really smart enough!

April said...

Jules,
You were homeschooled, as was Jackie Lee, and Casey, and I think you all turned out pretty darn good, in all areas of life. You go girlfriend. Granted, you all weren't homeschooled for your entire school years,nonetheless, I am a big homeschooler advocate. Besides, Kennewick has that awesome program for homeschoolers.

sister said...

Ummm... I think mom forgot to mention thanks to her wonderful "teaching" skills you three were only two grades behind everybody else when you went back to school.:) I know you will do just fine though!