Apr 22, 2010

Gardening and Life

Wow, 2 posts in one day! That hasn't happened.....ever!

I planted the garden today. I'm excited! We're doing tomato's, cucumbers, carrots, zucchini, lettuce, sweet corn, butternut squash, crookneck squash, and watermelon. I hope they do well this year. I'm only doing one of each (except for tomatos) because last year we had so much come off that we could not keep up with it, even when I gave some vegies away to friends and neighboors. We have 6 tomato plants. We are hoping to can 4 of them. And we started a lot earlier this year, by about a month in a half. We could have started earlier but didn't. But I'm glad I got it done before baby comes. Jameson and the girls were BIG helps. Kamille dug all the holes to put the seeds in. She dug probably 6 inch's worth, so we had to fill some of those in. And Jameson loved putting the seeds in the hole and then trying to find them again after we covered them up. It was cute. I'm hoping that each year I plant I'll gain more and more of a green thumb. I want to really keep up on the garden this year, along with the plants and flowers. I need the practice. I hope it becomes a great hobby for me that I really enjoy. It's nice to see the fruits of you labor!

I read a quote from Elanor Roosevelt today. She said "Great minds talk about ideas, small minds talk about people." It was a slap in the face to me....in a good way. Not that it's any secret to anybody. But according to what she said I'm small minded. I like to know what's going on in people's lives and what there up to, and that's pretty much the majority of what I talk about. Not necessarily to gossip or spread rumors, nothing like that at all, but just out of curiosity. I've come to realize that effort and energy could be put to so much better use. Like look at Kody. He is a way huge great mind! 97.5% of the thigs he talks about are ideas, concepts, principles and I'm so glad! That's why he's actually going somewhere in life and accomplishing something. I wish the world could see into his brain and heart. Even I wish I could see into his brain and heart. There is so much power there and a stronger desire to do right and good and change the world and mankind as we know it, more so than anyone else I have ever met. Anyway, I've really been trying to increase my mind size from small to great, because as I read about a study that was done on people who's conversations were recorded, those who reported the greatest amount of satisfaction in life and relationships spent only 10% on small talk. While those who were unhappiest spent over 23% of the conversations on the "shallow end" as it refered to in the article. So......it was a great reminder to me to be a lot more aware of what I talk about.

Well, that kind of went on, but I've learned that's what blogging is all about. I'm just going to throw my feelings and thoughts out there for the world to see (a little scary actually) but I don't really care because we are all human, and some day when my kids are grown they can look back and see their mom, and hopefully, see how she became a better person. And it's like a journal, since I haven't hand written in my journal for about 4 months. Yikes! I better get on that.

I was just thinking last night about women who lived in the "olden days." How in the heck did they do it all??? Everything was done by scratch and hand, EVERYTHING. Cooking, cleaning, sweing all their clothes, teaching their children, raising 5+ children, working in the fields and gardens, serving their neighboors, keeping volumes and volumes of their life and writing about it by hand and with ink. And a lot of times if their husbands were gone on missions or working out of town or in the military, they were totally on their own. It is so amazing to me how they did it. I want to be like that. Strong, faithful, positive, hard working, etc. Heck, Kody did the dishes tonight, and I was so excited I didn't have to! Those women are some of my heros, for sure!

Ok, I'm off to go read I think. First in the Book of Revelations, then maybe some of Breaking Dawn. Oh how I love my little family. It just makes me smile when I think of them!

3 comments:

Clement Family said...

Great post JulieDee. Although, don’t give yourself such a hard time. You have to remember that most of your talk is about family and family doings. This is a great oral tradition that has been handed down to you from your mother, a Great woman in her own right. And passed through the Goodman and Tenney genes. This is something to be proud pleased of. So, as you grow and acquire new skills and knowledge, don’t squash what wonderful traits and qualities you already possess. And believe me, your head is huge! :)

Anonymous said...

97.5% ... interesting. Please post the name of the tool that measures brain usage.

sister said...

Robyn is right... that is who you are. Don't go changing. Everybody is different that's what makes the world in interesting place to live in! Just improve the qualities you already have and embrace who you are... don't fight it! :)