Feb 13, 2014

30th Birthday

I'm the big 3-0! Of course I don't feel a day over 21 and probably don't act it either, but I did have a super duper great birthday!

My oldest sister Jeaniece called me a couple of months ago with a great idea to have the sisters meet up in Seattle for a birthday bash. I of course was all for it! Jeaniece and Jackie Lee were the only two that came. We missed Jennifer, but can't wait for her to join in the fun next time!

Our adventures started with me driving the 5 hours to Seattle to pick up my sisters at the airport. The next part of the adventure included Jackie Lee loosing her luggage, because it was taken by another passenger on accident. Thankfully though, he realized he grabbed the wrong back and brought it back to the baggage claim within an hour. So Jackie Lee had all her luggage and didn't have to just have the cloths on her back.

Because of the time delay, we weren't able to do a session at the temple. But we did drive by and see the beauty.

 
Then we headed over to indoor skydiving!

 
I got to do 2, 60 second flights.
Here's a video of how most of the flight goes! Laying on top of 100+ mph winds is a pretty cool rush!
 
 
In the second flight we get to go way up in the tunnel with the instructor, that was super cool!
Then we get even more of a rush!!!

And after just two flights I'm nearly a ballerina pro!....Well maybe not, but our instructor was awesome! I can't even do these moves on the ground, let alone off of the ground! She's got amazing skills! 


The other two girls were a couple of lame-o's and didn't do it. (Just kidding!) To sum it up, it was awesome and so much fun!!
 
After indoor skydiving we enjoyed a super yummy dinner at the Cheesecake Factory.
 
 
 
We were all pretty tuckered out after that and headed to the hotel for bed. Jeaniece picked a great hotel very central to everything we did. We walked everywhere, and averaged probably at least 4 miles a day.
 
The next day was that BIG day! Started off by Jeaniece doing my hair. It was like I was 13 all over again! (Except that Jeaniece never did my hair growing up, it was always Jennifer. And she always burned my forehead with the curling iron. But I don't have issues from that or anything :) )
 
 
We headed to the Space Needle for brunch. The weather was great, the scenery was great, the food was super delish - expensive but totally worth it! Seattle is a beautiful city and we really enjoyed the panoramic views of it while eating.
 
 
The darn candle was a trickster and kept lighting up again after I would blow it out. After blowing about 6 times, I licked my fingers and put it out.
 
 
 
The Olympic mountain range in the distance
 
It was a bit windy and chilly 615 feet up the needle!
 
 
After brunch we headed over to the Chihuly Glassblowing museum. That was really neat and interesting. Who knew that glass could be manipulated in so many different ways?
 







We saw this movie poster at the I-Max. I laughed, it was pretty funny!

After walking around the city center for several hours we headed back to the hotel to rest up. We decided to see a movie, "The Monuments Men," since the 4 screen theater was 100 feet from our hotel. It was a good movie! I had no idea about all the art stuff during WWII.
 
After the movie, we headed over to Jett City Improve, for an improv comedy show. And I'm the lucky one who took all the selfies. Probably because my arm is the longest. :)

 
They must have been having a special rate for 12 year olds, because the first two rows were filled with a bunch of eighth-graders. Or at least kids who acted like there were in 8th grade. Because the show works with audience participation, some of the suggestions given by 12 year olds were just kind of dumb. But most of the sketches were still pretty funny and we laughed hard.
 
The next day was Sunday, so we all got up early enough to make it to 9am church. It had snowed the night before, maybe no more than an inch, but when we walked into sacrament meeting there was a total of about six people there. At first I thought that we had chosen to go to like an Asian ward, but soon learned from a member of the ward that when it snows in Seattle, no matter how much, the whole city shuts down and people don't know what to do with all the white stuff on the ground.  So needless to say, sacrament meeting didn't start till about 9:15, and there were some people who trickled in later but the total number at the end of the meeting was only about 65. It was kind of funny! :)
 
After sacrament we headed back to the hotel, changed, and took the 2 mile walk down to Pike Place market. It's basically like the country's largest farmers market with almost anything you can think of for sale. Some of the vendors are quite artistic and crafty and sell really neat things. We ate several samples of all different kinds of things, enjoyed some super yummy fresh donuts, and some good laughs! 
 
"Fresh fish, we catch em', you buy em'!" (Name that movie!!)
 
This is the Gum Wall. it consists of millions of wads of gum stuck all over the wall. It's kind of gross, but looks cool too!

 
We decided to take the ferry and ride it over to Bainbridge Island. It was a nice 30 minute ride with gorgeous views!






 
I love that from the ferry you can see the Space Needle on the left, the big buildings in the center, and Mt. Rainer on the right!


After the ferry we started our walk back to the hotel, stopping to eat a super delicious Hawaiian burger and enjoying some relaxation.
 
 
A Safeway store was right across the street from our hotel, and I took a picture of this because I got a kick out of its location and the way it's situated!


 
On Monday, we wanted to visit the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation visitor center, but it was closed. Bummer. But this is the building, not a great picture, but it's huge and kind of cool looking. 

So we headed up the steepest roads I've ever seen (like San Francisco steep) and walked up to Kerry Park. We took these stairs to go up one block. There were over 100 steps. It was a good leg workout! 
 
Some of the old buildings are so beautiful and full of history and character!

 
We stopped for lunch at this super good Italian place. Yummy yummy!!
 
Think Jeaniece is a little cold? I laughed so hard when I turned around and saw her like this! Ya know, a whopping 45 degrees will do this to ya, especially if you've never been in anything colder then 65. Poor Arizona girl :)

 
This is the view from Kerry Park

 
Kind of a cool panoramic picture!


 
And back down the steps...

 
I love how green everything was, even in the middle of winter!
 
And the old brick roads were neat!


Well that's pretty much the fantastic 4 1/2 days we spent in Seattle! So thankful I got to do it! Kody deserves major props for handling everything with all 5 kids. He even took them all to church by himself and taught his Sunday school lesson. He's a good man, and I'm glad he's mine!
 
It was fun to come home and see him and the kids and get some big loves!  I enjoyed the break, but missed my little family. Thanks to Jeaniece and Jackie Lee for making the effort to come. It really was so much fun! And I totally vote for another sisters weekend again!!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

What a blast! I want to do a sisters weekend with my sisters so bad! How fun!