"ODE TO OPAL" (a.k.a. Grandma Goodie)
A few weeks ago my grandmother, Opal Tenney Goodman Allen, passed away and her funeral was held on March 29th, which was also her 95th birthday. How appropriate! I was not able to atten her funeral in Arizona (which I very much wanted to)but I'm sure Grandma understood why. What an example she was to me, and everyone else for that matter. I have MANY fond memories of Grandma and her old white house on Summit Ave. in Prescott. She's accomplished more in her life with the community, education, polotics, church service and missionary work than anyone else I have ever met. It would take quite a bit of time to list all the amazing things she did, but most of it is listed in a Resolution by the State of Arizona. Grandma was honored by the state for all of her diligent service and work. Four of Grandma's children were able to be in attendance when "House Resolution 2003" was presented, read and entered into record in the state of Arizona. Here is a copy of the Resolution. It is really amazing! Grandma was also responsible for helping to convert and bring about 25 people into the Gospel of Jesus Christ. She was such a huge missionary example for me and was a great inspiration on why I gave a Book of Mormon to every teacher I had from kindergarten all the way through college. I love Grandma dearly, and will miss her much. I'm thankful for the life she led and I only hope I can be as good as a woman as she was! (Click on this picture and it should be big enough to read!)
SURPRISE TRIP TO ARIZONA!
So on April 22nd, we flew down to Arizona for a brief visit with family and to pick up our new car!!! YAHOO!! We found a screamn' deal on a car in Phoenix and jumped on it. Since baby number three will soon be here, we needed somehting that would fit 3 carseats. We found a 2002 Honda Accord LX. Only 70,000 miles, runs great, and a steal for only $4,000, when it Blue Books at over $9,000 in fair condition and over $11,000 in excellent condition. I tell ya, if anyone is looking for a car shop in Phoenix for sure!! Of course we were really only able to get it because of a HUGE HUGE help from someone special! (He knows who he is. Thanks a ton!!!) Here is a picture of it!
So our plane arrived in Phoenix at 11pm and my dad picked us up from the airport and took us to our new car - SO EXCITING!- Then we drove to my moms house and rang her doorbell at midnight. She had no idea we were coming and when she opened the door and after about 5 seconds it regestered with her who we were and she was floored, literally! I had told her that there was a package coming for her birthday, but little did she know the package was us! It was great to surprise her and we had a lot of fun, even though we weren't able to stay very long and visit. We were able to all go out to dinner for my mom's birthday and that was fun. Here are come pcitures from that. My Mom is in the center. Happy 59th Birthday! You don't look a day over 30!!!
From left to right: Kamille, 3rd sister Jackie Lee, 1st sister Jeaniece
From left to right: Brother-in-law Ryan, 2nd sister Jennifer, nephew's Carson & Captin, niece's Saige & Ashlynn
We were able to go to a public splash pad in Phoenix because it was a 120 degrees outside in April(ok not really, but it sure felt like it). Here are some pictures of the cousins all playin'
Chloe, Kamille, & Randi
Our Cute little family
After we spent some time in Phoenix, we headed up north to Chino Valley to surprise Kody's family. The reaction was very similar with his parents. They had no idea we were coming and when we showed up his mom said "WHAT??" It was a lot of fun. We got to spend some time on the farm with some of the cousins. Here are some pcitres of that. Grammy with 5 of the 7 grandkids: Kayda, Adalyn, Brynli, Chiara, Kamille
Kayda working her way up into the Chicken Coop
Feeding the Chickens
Grammy & Kayda feeding the horses
Kamille fishing off the bridge into the pond with Grammy & Grampa
Video of Kamille Fishing
While we were in Chino Valley, we drove out to Paulden where we used to live and took some pictures of the houses that Kody built before we moved. Here is the finsihed product (of course with another family who bought the houses living in them)
After some time in Chino Valley, we headed over to California with some of Kody's family for a couple of days. We went to Oceanside and stayed in a condo right near the beach. It was a lot of fun and the weather was just beautiful! We were able to go to Sea World, and that was neat too. Whish we could have stayed the whole week with everyone, but we still had fun! Here are some pictures of that!
Kamille playing with cousins Brynli and Adalyn
All the grandkids on Kody's side of the family
Left to right: Chiara, Adalyn, Asher, Brynli, Kamille, Kayda, Ellena
Grammy with all the grandkids
A picture of the San Diego Temple taken while we were driving on th I-5
Having Fun at Sea World
Playn' at the beach
This was in Oregon on our drive home. How pretty!
We arrived home safely and had a great time. Hopefully next time we will be able to stay and visit family a little longer. My dad is coming up in a few days and will be here a week. We're excited! It will be fun.
I got my hair cut, and I really like it. It was the longest it has ever been and so decided to chop it about 4 or 5 inches. So here is a before and after picture!
Before
After
Oh, and one last thing. We had an ultrasound and we found out that we are having a..........BOY!!! We're excited!! He will be here in about 4 months!!
7 comments:
Hi Julie-
It sounds like you had a fun trip. I love AZ, even if it gets up to 120.
Troy served his mission in Oceanside- glad you got to go.
We had a bad experience buying an AZ car for our little family. It looked like a great deal, until we had to replace the engine a week later!!!
Don't kids love farms?
I only saw 1 haircut picture. Was it the before or the after?
Sounds like a great time in CA...The hair cut looks great, what made you cut it?
Love the hair! It was great seening you in AZ.
Julie,
Awesome blog. Very newsy. Great pictures. Loved having you here, even for 36 hours. Best surprise I have had in a long, long time. Your hair cut looks great. Glad you choose to get it fixed. Great pics. with Grammy. Her grandchildren are almost as cute as mine! :) Hope Kody is feeling better. Glad to know your car is working out so well for you.
Love ya!
Love your hair!
Glad you had fun in AZ and I am glad you didn't give your mom a heart attack in the process. :)
Hey, It's me again! Send me your email and I will invite you to our blog since it is private (jnbelnap@hotmail.com) I was wondering when you guys were going to have another baby. When are yuo due? Do you know what you are having?
Hi Julie-
I like your hair cut too. Mine is finally long enough for a ponytail, and I have had a pony every day this week! New styles are so much fun!
Congrats on a BOY! We love our 2 boys; they sure keep us busy.
Post a picture of your pregnant belly. I love seeing those shots!
Nicole
Post a Comment